Working Paper Information
The Child Labor Law requires that students obtain an employment certificate before beginning full or part-time work. The certificate is necessary until the age of 18 or upon high school graduation. Students must be 16 years old and have a job in order to secure a general employment certificate for full-time work. Students must be at least 14 years of age in order to secure a part-time or vacation certificate for work done after school or during summer vacation. For more information about the Pennsylvania Child Labor Law, go to the PA Department of Education website where you can find Q and A's as well.
To secure a certificate use the following procedure
Contact Principal Secretary Mrs. Raymond firstname.lastname@example.org for information on the work permit application process. At the current time all Work permits applications can be completed via Zoom meeting or in person, by appointment. A parent or guardian must be present to secure an application. The student’s birth certificate, baptismal certificate, or passport must be presented at that time along with a parent or guardian’s driver’s license.
Extracts from Child Labor Laws of Employment of Minors
Hours of employment: Minors 14 and 15 years old
- During the school term - maximum 4-hours on school days, eight hours on any other day and 18 hours per school week, and only at a time that does not interfere with school attendance.
- During school vacation - maximum 8 hours per day, 44 hours per week.
- Night work - no minor under 16 shall be employed before 7:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m. except during school vacation (June to Labor Day) when minors may work between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. (Minors distributing newspapers may work between 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.).
At any time, maximum employment is 6 days per week with a 30-minute meal period required, after 5 hours of work.
Hours of employment: Minors 16 and 17 years old
- During the school term - maximum 28 hours per school week. If a vacation day or days fall during a particular week 4 hours may be added for each vacation day up to a maximum of 44 hours.
- During school vacation - maximum 8 hours per day - 44 hours per week.
- Night work - no 16 or 17 year old shall be employed between midnight and 6:00 a.m. when enrolled in school. Students may work until 1:00 a.m. on nights preceding a school holiday, or Friday/Saturday nights.
At any time - maximum employment - 6 days per week with a 30-minute meal period required after 5 hours.